Thursday, March 15, 2007

New and Improved

So after submitting my story The Finn to the Dimensions newspaper here, one of their editors/cartoonists decided he really, really wanted to turn it into a "graphic novel" serialized across several issues. While this means that I don't do as much writing per week, it came out pretty damn cool.

So props to Marwan Imam for turning my work into something really kind of unique. He did a pretty good job drawing Boston for someone who has never seen it before in his life!!!



Here's the text, since it's kind of unreadable from the scan:


I worked but I didn’t manage to find satisfaction. That was Boston’s fault. This town had dulled me with its persistent winds, and I was slowly wearing away in the rain, the snow, the battered sidewalks and cracking roads. In this city, every thing was a defense against the elements, every day was a task. And the people, clannish and irritable, could become as cutting as shards of glass. Every one shuffled around in coats and scarves, each a castle, a fortress, with layers of battlements and almost never visible. Boston wore at my soul and I could not escape.

A vast melancholy swept over me as I sat on the embankment, waiting for the train to take me home. It was one of those cold New England nights where your breath comes in freezing clouds that glow in the stainless steel moonlight. I could see the train coming half a mile away along the tracks, its running lights reflected in long beams down the rails. The track ran straight and then curved at the last minute before the station, so as it approached all I saw a was three flashing lights bearing down on me with an increasing roar. The cars blew by in a blast of hot air and roaring diesel that splashed through my mind like an ocean wave.

On the train, I sat facing the wrong direction, watching Belmont and then Waltham slide silently by. Staring through the scratched glass of the windows, I watched the tattered remnants of New England's industrial past slide by – battered redbrick buildings covered in cracking paintwork and dying ivy, junkyards filled with rusting trucks and stripped tires, men standing around in flannel shirts and dirty workboots the color of old wheat, smoking cigarettes. I looked down at my own shoes, chestnut boots polished to a waxy sheen, and then at the shoes I wear at work, scuffed and filthy with cheap leather. Why did I feel the need to change them every day before I left?



Also, I'm went to Zaghloul today to make sure the trousers fit and to get the final measurements for the coat. He's such an awesome old guy:






It's raining today...in Cairo! Blech on that.